The Religion and the Public Sphere Program aims to foster innovative research on questions concerning religion, secularism, and related themes, especially in regard to their impact on contemporary public life; to encourage exchanges and collaborations between scholars working on these and similar topics across disciplinary boundaries; and to inform and elevate public discourse by disseminating rigorous and research-based social science in an accessible form and through innovative and catalytic media.
The intern will assist with the Religion Program’s ongoing projects and digital forums, including The Immanent Frame and Reverberations, and will be expected to work at the SSRC’s Brooklyn Heights office for approximately twenty hours per week for three months (June–August). This is an unpaid internship, with a monthly stipend for travel and expenses.
Applicants should be current undergraduates or recent graduates in the social sciences or humanities, preferably with an interest in religion, and should have
• strong writing and editorial skills, as well as excellent organizational abilities and attention to detail;
• experience with publicity efforts, including through social networks; and
• proficiency with web publishing platforms and Internet resources (familiarity with HTML being a plus).
• Work closely with program staff to help conceive and implement publicity efforts.
• Manage social networking and e-mail campaigns in promotion of noteworthy project developments, as well as regular Twitter and Facebook activity.
• Help expand and organize our academic, media, and public contact lists.
• Copyedit and edit according to the standards of the Chicago Manual of Style, the APA, the MLA, and other sources.
• Provide assistance with the day-to-day maintenance of The Immanent Frame and Reverberations.
Terms, Salary and Benefits
While this is an unpaid internship, we provide a monthly stipend for travel and expenses.
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com (with “Religion Summer Intern” in the subject line of your e-mail).