Friday, March 9, 2012

New from Stanford Social Innovation Review

FROM the  

An excerpt from the new book,Campaign Bootcamp 2.0 by Christine Pelosi*.



Women often find it harder to make the leap into campaigns because many of us remain the primary caregivers for our children and our parents, so family time is harder to let go. And public attitudes remain stereotypical, even among close supporters. I remember receiving an award at the pre-Columbus Day luncheon of the Irish-Israeli-Italian Society of San Francisco during my days as a deputy prosecutor. There I was, my speech all lined up about the caring traditions of Trócaire, Tikkun Olam, and Caritas when a family friend approached my table announcing loudly, "I’m praying for your husband." My response, thinking she mistook me for one of my married sisters: "It’s Christine; I don’t have a husband." "I know," she replied, "that’s why I am praying for him!" My colleagues roared with laughter. One who has since gone on to elected office herself said, "When people ask me where my husband is, I say, ‘I don’t know, but if you find him tell him I’m looking for him.’"
 READ MORE
*"Christine Pelosi has a lifetime of grass-roots campaigning experience. Christine serves as chair of the California Democratic Party Women's Caucus and she has worked as an attorney in the Clinton-Gore administration and a child abuse and sex crimes prosecutor in San Francisco."

No comments:

Post a Comment